Re: PostgreSQL in the press again

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in the press again
Date: 2004-11-15 07:18:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jan Wieck wrote:

> I am sure with the right skills one could have done Slony-I in Java and
> get pretty much the same results...
>
> The problem really is that it is rather difficult to find Java
> programmers with the skillset required here...
>
> IMNSVHO Java is a nice language for GUIs and maybe some WEB stuff ...
> and that's it...

Isn't the last claim a bit contradicory? If you where to say, "Java is a
nice language, but we can't use it for advanced server side development
here since we are unable to find people with the right skills", then it
would make a lot of sense. And I would agree, that's often a very valid
argument to use C/C++.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren