Re: Thread safety and libxml2

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thread safety and libxml2
Date: 2010-04-19 14:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On ons, 2009-12-30 at 12:55 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
>> > Basically, configure failed on their OpenBSD system because thread
>> > safety is on but the libxml2 wasn't compiled with threaded support:
>> > http://xmlsoft.org/threads.html
>> >
>> > Disabling either feature (no --with-libxml or --disable-thread-safety)
>> > gives a working build.
>>
>> This could perhaps be fixed by excluding libxml when running the thread
>> test.  The thread result is only used in the client libraries and libxml
>> is only used in the backend, so those two shouldn't meet each other in
>> practice.
>
> The attached patch removes "-lxml2" from the link line of the thread
> test program.  Comments?  Can anyone test this fixes the OpenBSD
> problem?

Can someone take the time to test this whether this patch fixes the
problem? This is on the list of open items for PG 9.0, but
considering that there's been a proposed patch available for almost
two months and no responses to this thread, it may be time to conclude
that nobody cares very much - in which case we can either remove this
item or relocate it to the TODO list.

...Robert