Re: Thread safety and libxml2

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thread safety and libxml2
Date: 2010-04-22 15:10:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> This could perhaps be fixed by excluding libxml when running the thread
>>> test.  The thread result is only used in the client libraries and libxml
>>> is only used in the backend, so those two shouldn't meet each other in
>>> practice.
>>
>> The attached patch removes "-lxml2" from the link line of the thread
>> test program.  Comments?  Can anyone test this fixes the OpenBSD
>> problem?
>
> Can someone take the time to test this whether this patch fixes the
> problem?  This is on the list of open items for PG 9.0, but
> considering that there's been a proposed patch available for almost
> two months and no responses to this thread, it may be time to conclude
> that nobody cares very much - in which case we can either remove this
> item or relocate it to the TODO list.

Since no one has responded to this, I'm moving this to the section of
the open items list called "long-term issues: These items are not
9.0-specific. They should be fixed eventually, but not for now." I am
inclined to think this isn't worth adding to the main TODO list. If
someone complains about it again, we can ask them to test the patch.
If not, I don't see much point in investing any more time in it.

...Robert