Re: List response time...

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Serguei Mokhov <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List response time...
Date: 2001-08-22 03:35:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:

> If it was a sendmail issue, by all means, but it isn't so no :)

Both qmail and postfix radically outperform sendmail for large mailing
list delivery on identical hardware. It seems strange to me to say
that there is no sendmail issue when sendmail itself is the issue.
The queuing structure sendmail uses is simply wrong when a single
message has many recipients. I've run moderately serious (1000 users,
dozens of messages per day) mailing lists using both sendmail and
qmail, and there really is no comparison.

Ian