PLTCL return_null crash...

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PLTCL return_null crash...
Date: 2002-10-07 20:18:24
Lists: pgsql-general

This is so odd. I have used return_null with no problems, but now it crashes stuff all over the place.

Yes, I am the guy who hacked his pltcl.c, but only on one machine. This seems to crash on all 3 of them.

PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on i386--netbsdelf, compiled by GCC egcs-1.1.2

bash-2.05$ createlang 'pltcl' test;
bash-2.05$ psql test
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

test=# create function crash () returns int as '
test'# return_null
test'# ' language 'pltcl';
CREATE
test=# select crash();
ERROR: AllocSetFree: cannot find block containing chunk 0xbfbfcc48
test=#

Well, crash may be too harsh a term in this simple example, in others, however, it not only brings down my database (without a core file?) it kills the webserver!

I can accept the notion that I have probably caused this, but I don't know how! These computers are geographically separated, and the one above is stone stock, no changes at all to anything (except NetBSD package stuff...)

Does the above exhibit any similar wierdness on anyone else's 7.2.1?

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549