Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

From: "Gerhard Dieringer" <DieringG(at)eba-haus(dot)de>
To: <indraneel(at)www(dot)cdfd(dot)org(dot)in>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables
Date: 2000-10-16 06:57:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

>>> Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel(at)www(dot)cdfd(dot)org(dot)in> 16.10.2000 20.11 Uhr >>>
> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem in mapping between two tables containing unique
> entries
>
> T1 T2
> _________ ________
> | x1 | | y1 |
> | x2 | | y2 |
> | x3 | | y3 |
> --------- ---------
>
> x(i) points to 1 or more entries in T2. y(i) points to one or more entries
> in T1. How do I store this mapping? I'd cannot use an array due to size
> restrictions and inability to extract data easily for furthur processing.
>
> I don't want to put everything into a single table and repeat values in
> the 2nd column since these are really huge tables and I cannot increase
> overhead by increasing data redundancy.
>
> Is there some way to do something about this?
>
> \Indraneel
>
> /************************************************************************.
> # Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel(at)123india(dot)com #
> # Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
> # Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
> # Hyderabad, India - 500076 #

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Is it right, that the x(i) are different values
of an column x in table T1 and the y(i) are different values of an column y in table T2?
And you want to have a n:m relation between the two tables?
Then you need a third table T12 with columns x and y, that contains one row for each
mapping of a x(i) with a y(j).

I hope this helps.

Gerhard