Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables

From: Indraneel Majumdar <indraneel(at)www(dot)cdfd(dot)org(dot)in>
To: Gerhard Dieringer <DieringG(at)eba-haus(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Antw: many-many mapping between unique tables
Date: 2000-10-16 20:13:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Yeah you understand the problem perfectly. The third table will definitely
contain unique entries if you take both x and y simultaneously. I wanted
some way of mapping where I would not need to repeat individual values of
x and y. I am not from a maths background and have absolutely no idea of
database design.

Is it possible to map the columns without repeating values?

\Indraneel

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Gerhard Dieringer wrote:

> I'm not sure if I understand your question. Is it right, that the x(i) are different values
> of an column x in table T1 and the y(i) are different values of an column y in table T2?
> And you want to have a n:m relation between the two tables?
> Then you need a third table T12 with columns x and y, that contains one row for each
> mapping of a x(i) with a y(j).
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> Gerhard

# Indraneel Majumdar ¡ E-mail: indraneel(at)123india(dot)com #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node), ¡ URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076 #