Re: basic trigger using OLD not working?

From: "Ian Harding" <iharding(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <rick(dot)casey(at)colorado(dot)edu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: basic trigger using OLD not working?
Date: 2005-02-25 14:30:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I think you have created a statement level trigger (If they existed in
7.4.7...) by not including FOR EACH ROW in your create statement. In
statement level triggers, there is no OLD or NEW.

>>> Rick Casey <rick(dot)casey(at)colorado(dot)edu> 02/24/05 1:22 PM >>>
Hello all,

I am trying to a simple thing: create a log history of deletes, and
updates; but which I am having trouble getting to work in PG 7.4.7
(under Debian Linux 2.6.8).

I have reduced my code to the following trivial case:

Here is the code that creates the delete trigger:
create trigger PEDIGREES_hist_del_trig
AFTER DELETE
on PEDIGREES
EXECUTE PROCEDURE logPedigreesDel();

Here is the trigger code: (famindid is an integer field in the Pedigrees

table):

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION logPedigreesDel() RETURNS TRIGGER AS '
DECLARE
test integer;
begin
test := OLD.famindid;
RAISE EXCEPTION ''OLD.famindid = '', test;
return OLD;
end;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Here is the error message returned:
psql:testphdtrig.sql:1: ERROR: record "old" is not assigned yet
DETAIL: The tuple structure of a not-yet-assigned record is
indeterminate.
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "logpedigreesdel" line 4 at assignment

Would *really appreciate* any suggestions! This could help us decide
whether to PostGres for a major project...

thanks --rick

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend