Help on update that subselects other records in table, uses joins

From: Jeff Kowalczyk <jtk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help on update that subselects other records in table, uses joins
Date: 2003-10-29 14:52:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

I need to adapt this an update statement to a general
form that will iterate over multiple orderids for a given
customerinvoiceid. My first concern is a form that will
work for a given orderid, then an expanded version that
will work on all orderids with a specific
customerinvoiceid as a parameter.

I'm sure appropriate joins will handle it, but I'm
not making any headway, everything comes back with
multiple tuple selected for update errors.

UPDATE ordercharges INNER JOIN orders ON
orders.orderid = ordercharges.orderid
SET orderchargeasbilled =
(SELECT .065*orderchargeasbilled
FROM ordercharges
WHERE ordercharges.orderid='123456'
AND orderchargecode = 'SALE')
WHERE ordercharges.orderchargecode='S&H'
AND ordercharges.orderid = '123456'
(additional join and where for customerinvoiceid
omitted/not attempted yet)

orders:
+-orderid
| customerinvoiceid
| (...)
|
| ordercharges:
| orderchargeid
+---orderid
orderchargeasbilled
(...)

To Illustrate, this is a sample table:

[ordercharges]-------------------------------------------------
orderchargeid | orderid | orderchargecode | orderchargeasbilled
1 123456 SALE 10.00
2 123456 S&H (update)
3 123457 SALE 15.00
4 123457 EXPEDITE 5.00
5 123457 S&H (update)
6 123458 SALE 20.00
7 123458 S&H (update)
8 123459 SALE 10.00
9 123459 S&H (update)

orderid | customerinvoiceid
123456 54321
123457 54321
123458 54321
123459 55543

(e.g. use 54321 as parameter to update 3 S&H rows in 3 orders,
but not 1 S&H row in order 123459)