Re: Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with 7.2b3

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with 7.2b3
Date: 2001-12-03 18:05:19
Lists: pgsql-ports

At 12:41 PM +0100 12/2/01, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Henry B. Hotz writes:
>
>> Can't use tk. I loaded the alpha release of the native Aqua Tk port.
>> It gets me a Wish Shell.app, not a /usr/bin/wish. This seems
>> reasonable, but how do we get Postgres to use it? Can Postgres use
>> it?
>
>'wish' is used for PgAccess. We only need the command name to put it into
>a shell script (which is what pgaccess is) so different names should work
>if the call conventions are the same. You might want to try to configure
>thus:
>
>WISH='Wish Shell.app' ./configure ....
>
>This doesn't affect pgtksh though, it's only that they're lumped together
>under --with-tk.

I did a ln -s /Applications/Wish\ Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish\
Shell /usr/local/bin/wish, and I linked tclConfig.sh to tkConfig.sh.
That got it past the configure step. If you really need wish then
this probably wouldn't work. I know there is an easy way to start a
GUI app from the command line and someone needs to create a shell
wrapper for the purpose.

It still failed to compile due to needing some X11 header file even
though this is specifically not an X11 tk port. This is a tk issue
not a Postgres issue.

After loading the openssl .h files I was able to get it to configure
as follows:
--with-includes=<tcl header dirs>
--with-tcl --without-tk --with-tclconfig=<tcl public header dir>
--with-perl
--with-krb4=/usr/local (I have kth-krb installed for AFS support,
krb5 native doesn't work)
--with-CXX
--enable-syslog

It passes all the regression tests.

Note that I can't actually try out the kerberos support without
paying $30/month for a postgres account including AFS space and the
whole ball of wax. I just wanted to see if it would compile since
the krb5 native option didn't work. I'm still not sure if this is a
MacOSX linker issue or some funny in the way Postgres looks at
kerberos.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu