Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?

From: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?
Date: 2003-09-10 13:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:18:52 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
wrote:
>I have a suspicion that there is no real leak, but
>rather we are seeing some artifact of the way Linux' top(1) reports
>memory usage.

From my experience I can confirm that. I have looked a lot at top
output when I benchmarked my heaptuple header changes last year. ISTM
Linux accounts a shared memory page (for whatever a page is) to the
memory usage of a process as soon as the process has touched that
page.

7.4 starts up with 1000 shared buffers by default, that is 8 MB of
shared memory. Add some space for FSM, connections and other shared
stuff, and 10 MB of shared memory is quite plausible. We've seen
nobody complaining that his backend got much bigger than 11 MB.

It's been more than a week since the OP posted his observation. If
his backend had grown to 100 MB after 24 hours, he would have told us

Servus
Manfred