Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?
Date: 2003-09-10 04:18:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Have we determined there _isn't_ a memory leak problem in beta2?

I am not sure. I have a suspicion that there is no real leak, but
rather we are seeing some artifact of the way Linux' top(1) reports
memory usage. I cannot prove that --- I can only offer the evidence
that the exact same PG sources running the exact same queries on a
different OS (HPUX) show no memory leak. It would be useful to hear
some more reports of the test case from people with other OSes.