Re: PostgreSQL replication on Windows

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL replication on Windows
Date: 2005-01-23 13:38:51
Lists: pgsql-ports

The world rejoiced as harm(dot)van(dot)der(dot)ploeg(at)relitech(dot)nl (Harm van der Ploeg) wrote:
> Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
> Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
> Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
> compile these sources.

In the case of Slony-I, no one has yet volunteered to add such a port.

As one of the Slony-I developers, while I don't oppose such a port, I
have neither the access to Windows(tm) nor the interest in usage on
Windows(tm) that would be required for me to put effort into it. I'm
already quite busy enough with other things. The same appears to be
true of the other developers, as well.

If you consider it valuable, you'll have to find someone to do the
port. That may mean needing to pay someone money to do the work.

This sort of thing is liable to be an ongoing problem for use of
PostgreSQL on Windows(tm); there are a number of PostgreSQL extensions
that require the ability to compile from source, and it is
unfortunately quite common for Windows(tm)-based users to be pretty
helpless in this fashion.

As an alternative, I believe that Command Prompt's "Mammoth
Replicator" has been ported to run on Windows; you may want to enquire
about it and see if its properties are suitable for your purposes.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html