Re: [Slony1-general] Re: [GENERAL] Slony-I 1.0.4 Released

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] Re: [GENERAL] Slony-I 1.0.4 Released
Date: 2004-10-23 01:42:06
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net ("Ed L.") wrote:
> Wow. First, thanks again for all your efforts, Jan. Second, I'm
> disappointed to hear the slony author and lead developer is leaving
> the slony leadership. When is that going to happen? And what does
> that mean with respect to your future involvement in slony?

In some respects, it's a healthy thing for there to be _some_ change
that takes place. A project that is comprised of one person can
pretty easily disappear if that one person steps away. Furthermore,
one of the purported merits of open source is that it benefits from
diverse involvement. A healthy OSS project sees changes coming in
from _multiple_ people; from the diversity of people comes a diversity
in points of view and in ideas of what can be added. That has already
been the case with Slony-I.

Furthermore, I don't see this leading to Jan "disappearing from Slony"
at all. As one who 'groks the code well,' his wisdom will doubtless
be drawn upon. (And since those paying his salary depend quite a lot
on Slony-I, there's a certain amount of influence that could be
brought to bear ;-).) He's trying to spend some time concentrating on
yet another project that is also called Slony, namely Slony-II.

The point of Slony-I was to provide an efficient way to bring a bunch
of nodes into sync. Slony-II is to extend that further to support
multimaster replication. It needs to start with databases that are in
sync, ergo requiring starting with Slony-I. Others of us may be doing
most of the "heavy lifting" to finish off features already
contemplated for Slony-I, but I seriously doubt that means Jan will be
completely uninvolved.

There needs to be an interface between the phases, too. After all,
there has to be some transformation to take a set of "Slony-I
replicated" systems to then take them into "Slony-II mode." I'll bet
that means that Slony-I will have to add some code to become
"Slony-II-aware"...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/