Re: Prefix search, word completion, full text search

From: Vincent Bernat <bernat(at)luffy(dot)cx>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prefix search, word completion, full text search
Date: 2007-12-30 10:38:47
Lists: pgsql-general

OoO En ce début de soirée du samedi 29 décembre 2007, vers 21:50, Oleg
Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> disait:

>> GIST or GIN (I don't remember) should allow to search for prefix. How
>> can I query them?

> there is no built-in. For your purpose I'd create separate table with
> words you want to be completed (anywa, you dont complete garbage words)
> and write simple dictionary which generates all prefixes beginning
> from minlen (about 3) for input word and use it to create GIN index.

If I have a table with all the words that I want to complete, why would
I use something more complex than this?

SELECT word FROM words WHERE word LIKE 'foo%'

Does such a search can't use normal index?

> Should works. IIRC, someone already asked about such dictionary and even
> posted such dictionary.

Do you have some keywords to search for? "dictionary prefix" does not
match anything useful.

Thanks.
--
Write clearly - don't be too clever.