Re: Prefix search, word completion, full text search

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Vincent Bernat <bernat(at)luffy(dot)cx>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prefix search, word completion, full text search
Date: 2007-12-29 20:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Vincent Bernat wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am playing with the new full text search in PostgreSQL 8.3. I would
> like to search for prefixes to allow to complete words. For example, if
> I have the lexemes 'foo', 'foobar' and 'bar', I would like to get all
> the words whose prefix is 'foo', i.e 'foo' and 'foobar'.
>
> GIST or GIN (I don't remember) should allow to search for prefix. How
> can I query them?

there is no built-in. For your purpose I'd create separate table with
words you want to be completed (anywa, you dont complete garbage words)
and write simple dictionary which generates all prefixes beginning from
minlen (about 3) for input word and use it to create GIN index.
Should works. IIRC, someone already asked about such dictionary and even
posted such dictionary.

> Thanks.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83