Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib,
Date: 2004-04-28 02:34:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") would write:
> Personally, plpgSQL is only useful to those who are coming from
> Oracle. People are more likely to be comfortable with plPython or
> plPerl than plpgSQL.

I beg to differ.

In order to use pl/Python or pl/Perl to manipulate data in the
database, I have to go and find an SPI module.

With pl/pgsql, all I need to do is to directly present the SQL
queries.

The flip side, of course, is that Perl and Python provide nice idioms
for fiddling with text that are much nicer than clumsy usages of
substr() in pl/pgsql.

I'd rather do complex text validation in Perl, but write code that
does "table stuff" in pl/pgsql.

That is indeed the /exact/ approach I have taken in using stored
procedures for data conversions; a mix of the both, using each to
harness its respective strengths.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lsf.html