Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Andrew Payne" <andy(at)payne(dot)org>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-28 02:51:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> While Apache is and has been wildly popular for bulk hosing and domain
> parking, for serious commercial use, Netscape's enterprise server, now Sun
> One, has long been a leader in commercial web sites.

Netscrape/SunONE may have been a leader in some sub-market, but this misses
the point.

Apache + NCSA never had less than 50% market share, overall.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Postgres is in a completely different situation: 95+?% of the world's
databases don't run on Postgres, and it's been this way for a long time.

Also, Apache never had "MyApache", a more popular version that many believe
to be "free" and "open source".

My point: Apache was successful in a situation that may not apply here.

Does anyone know of an open source project that *has* successfully displaced
a market of mature, established products WITHOUT a commercial entity
providing marketing, support & direction?

-andy