Re: PLEASE: I really need german characters

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin(dot)Riefenstahl(at)epost(dot)de>
To: "Gunnar Groetschel" <ggroetschel(at)sokoma(dot)de>
Cc: "Pgsql-Odbc (E-Mail)" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PLEASE: I really need german characters
Date: 2003-12-04 17:05:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Gunnar,

"Gunnar Groetschel" <ggroetschel(at)sokoma(dot)de> writes:
> I have tried all "SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO '*'" but nothin worked.

Well, this has definitly an effect here in my installation with
SERVER_ENCODING=UNICODE. It's possible though, that PostgreSQL treats
a conversion from SERVER_ENCODING=SQL_ASCII to CLIENT_ENCODING=LATIN1
or any other encoding as a no-op, which is not surprising. Try to
setup your database as UNICODE or LATIN1 and see if SET
CLIENT_ENCODING works than.

> I have set up the debugging and PGAdmin says that it is using the
> SQL_ASCII encoding. All the Umlauts are there. This is really
> curious.

To repeat: "ASCII" means "there are no umlauts, and if you insist on
putting random 8-bit characters into the database, you are on your
own." There is nothing curious about that this works in some
applications and doesn't work in others. Unless I am missing
something here.

benny