Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Ben Clewett <B(dot)Clewett(at)roadrunner(dot)uk(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date: 2003-04-17 16:37:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ben Clewett <B(dot)Clewett(at)roadrunner(dot)uk(dot)com> writes:

> > So does PostgreSQL (pg_dump/pg_dumpall).
>
> I have used this, and it's a great command.
>
> I could not work out from the documentation whether it takes a
> snapshot at the start time, or archives data at the time it find's it.
> The documentation (app-pg-dump.html). As the documentation does not
> clarify this very important point, I desided it's not safe to use when
> the system is in use.

Ummm, quoting from the pg_dump manpage:

pg_dump makes consistent backups even if the database is
being used concurrently. pg_dump does not block other
users accessing the database (readers or writers).

What part of this isn't clear?

It's safe. pg_dump does all its work inside a transaction, so MVCC
rules automatically guarantee that it sees a consistent snapshot.

> Can this command can be used, with users in the system making heavy
> changes, and when takes many hours to complete, does produce a valid
> and consistent backup?

Absolutely.

> If so, you have all MySQL has here and in a more useful format.

I think MySQL's consistent hot backup has to lock tables, while PG's
doesn't...

-Doug