Re: PostgreSQL and MySql

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and MySql
Date: 2004-04-10 21:10:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Quoth vijayaraghava_m(at)rediffmail(dot)com ("vijay raghava"):
> This is a simple one but I couldn't find out the answer.
> What is the difference between PostgreSQL and MySql?

There is not "the difference;" there are numerous differences between
them.

- For instance, MySQL(tm) is a traditionally-licensed proprietary
database that may sometimes be distributed under an "open source"
license. In contrast, PostgreSQL has always been distributed as free
software; there is not the complexity of multiple licenses.

- MySQL(tm) is the property of a traditional software enterprise, its
development controlled privately by the company that owns it.
PostgreSQL is developed by an independent group of developers
distributed around the globe.

- There are numerous differences in functionality; look at the
respective manuals to see further details of this.

That only points at three aspects to the differences; there are
probably many more.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html