Re: New To PostgreSQL

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "Tom Ince" <tince(at)acsinc-nj(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General \(E-mail\)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New To PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-27 16:41:02
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tom Ince" <tince(at)acsinc-nj(dot)com> writes:

> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1). I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL. Does PostgreSQL support
> foreign keys? Are there any other quirks I might run into as far as
> SQL syntax goes?

Yes, recent versions of PostgreSQL support foreign keys and general
CHECK constraints as well. You will probably run into some SQL
differences between Informix and Postgres but I don't think they are
major.

The PG documentation is online at www.postgresql.org, feel free to
check it out if you haven't already.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm. -Dylan