Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Date: 2005-06-06 17:01:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

In the last exciting episode, ashah(at)tagaudit(dot)com (Amit V Shah) wrote:
>> I am all for postgres at this point, however just want to know why I am
>> getting opposite results !!! Both DBs are on the same machine
>
>> Why do you say "opposite results" ?
>
> Please pardon my ignorance, but from whatever I had heard, mysql was
> supposedly always faster than postgres !!!! Thats why I was so
> surprised !! I will definately post the "analyze query" thing by
> end of today ...

There is a common "use case" where MySQL(tm) using the "MyISAM"
storage manager tends to be quicker than PostgreSQL, namely where you
are submitting a lot of more-or-less serial requests of the form:

select * from some_table where id='some primary key value';

If your usage patterns differ from that, then "what you heard" won't
necessarily apply to your usage.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html