Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Date: 2005-06-06 19:02:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christopher Browne wrote:

> There is a common "use case" where MySQL(tm) ...
>
> select * from some_table where id='some primary key value';
>
> If your usage patterns differ from that...

However this is a quite common use-case; and I wonder what the
best practices for postgresql is for applications like that.

I'm guessing the answer is PGMemcache?
(http://people.freebsd.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/pgmemcache.pdf)
... with triggers and listen/notify to manage deletes&updates
and tweaks to the application code to look to memcached for
those primary_key=constant queries?

If that is the answer, I'm curious if anyone's benchmarked
or even has qualitative "yeah, feels very fast" results for
such an application for the common mysql use case.