Re: record identical operator

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: record identical operator
Date: 2013-09-19 08:54:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> writes:
> There are examples in the patch and this thread, but rather than
> reference back to those I'll add a new one.  Without the patch:

Thanks much for doing that.

> The problem, as I see it, is that the view and the concurrently
> refreshed materialized view don't yield the same results for the
> same query.  The rows are equal, but they are not the same.  With
> the patch the matview, after RMVC, looks just the same as the view.

My understanding is that if you choose citext then you don't care at all
about the case, so that the two relations actually yield the same
results for the right definition of "same" here: the citext one.

In other words, the results only look different in ways that don't
matter for the datatype involved, and I think that if it matters to the
user then he needs to review is datatype choices or view definition.

So my position on that is that your patch is only adding confusion for
no benefits that I'm able to understand.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine