Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, "pgsql-hackers\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Date: 2013-06-10 14:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Having a schema that isn't pg_catalog doesn't necessairly mean we need a
> schema per extension. Just a 'pg_extensions' schema, which is added to
> search_path behind the scenes (just like pg_catalog..) would be better
> than having everything go into pg_catalog. I'd prefer that we let the
> admins control both where extensions get installed to and what schemas
> are added to the end of the search_path.

That was discussed in the scope of the first extension patch and it took
us about 1 year to conclude not to try to solve search_path at the same
time as extensions. I'm not convinced we've had extensions for long
enough to be able to reach a conclusion already, but I'll friendly watch
that conversation happen again.

My opinion is that a pg_extension schema with a proper and well
documented set of search_path properties would be good to have. A way to
rename it per-database doesn't strike me as that useful as long as we
have ALTER EXTENSION … SET SCHEMA …

The current default schema where to install extensions being "public",
almost anything we do on that front will be an improvement.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine