Re: Fix corner case for binary upgrade: extension functions in pg_catalog.

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix corner case for binary upgrade: extension functions in pg_catalog.
Date: 2011-02-16 20:23:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane <post(at)gwene(dot)org> writes:
> Fix corner case for binary upgrade: extension functions in pg_catalog.

Do we only want to care about functions here? What about the following?

CREATE EXTENSION hstore WITH SCHEMA pg_catalog;

When not doing binary upgrade, this will issue the right pg_dump
command, but it seems to me that you're saying that binary upgrades in
such a case would be a problem still.

> Normally, pg_dump summarily excludes functions in pg_catalog from
> consideration. However, some extensions may create functions in pg_catalog
> (adminpack already does that, and extensions for procedural languages will
> likely do it too). In binary-upgrade mode, we have to dump such functions,
> or the extension will be incomplete after upgrading. Per experimentation
> with adminpack.
>
> * [DBH] src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c

Regards,
--