Re: scheduler in core

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-20 22:03:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
> you've suggested, and already exists.

What would it take to have it included in core, so that it's not a
separate install to do? I'd love to have some support for running my
maintenance pl functions directly from the database. I mean without
installing, running and monitoring another (set of) process.

Main advantage over cron or another scheduler being that it'd be part of
my transactional backups, of course.

Use cases, in case it's needed already, include creating new partitions,
materializing views at known intervals, more general maintenance like
vacuum and clusters operations, some reporting that could be done in the
database itself, etc.

Regards,
--
dim