Re: scheduler in core

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-20 23:18:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:
> What would it take to have it included in core, so that it's not a
> separate install to do? I'd love to have some support for running my
> maintenance pl functions directly from the database. I mean without
> installing, running and monitoring another (set of) process.

It'll always be another (set of) processes even if it's "in core". All
it means to be "in core" is that it will be harder to make
modifications and you'll be tied to the Postgres release cycle.

> Main advantage over cron or another scheduler being that it'd be part of
> my transactional backups, of course.

All you need for that is to store the schedule in a database table.
This has nothing to do with where the scheduler code lives.

--
greg