Re: Re: [INTERFACES] New code for JDBC driver

From: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
To: "George Koras" <gkoras(at)cres(dot)gr>
Cc: "Barry Lind" <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, "Arsalan Zaidi" <azaidi(at)directi(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL jdbc list" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [INTERFACES] New code for JDBC driver
Date: 2001-07-05 10:13:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

* "George Koras" <gkoras(at)cres(dot)gr> wrote:

| So I guess a solution would be to escape *quotes* and not *semicolons out of
| quotes*, which is the solution I use in my programs and on which comments
| are invited . This also prevents the malicious use Arsanal is talking about,
| doesn't it?
|
| However the PreparedStatement solution (which I haven't tried) seems to be
| more elegant.

PreparedStatement is the right solution for this. If you don't trust
your input SQL either use that or do custom escaping on before sending
the SQL to the driver.

I wouldn't like to add another performance bottleneck, especially when it is
not mandated by the spec. The JDBC driver for Sybase works the same way.

regards,

Gunnar
--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/