Re: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Dale Anderson <danderso(at)crystalsugar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unique row identifier data type exhausted . . .
Date: 2000-04-26 16:58:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Is this necessarily a good solution? If you use 64-bit OIDs, some joker
> > will just hook up a several-terra-byte disk array to his machine, try to
> > store the location of every molecule in the universe and break it.
>
> That's not going to work anyway. To store information about a molecule you
> need at least one such molecule to hold that state, barring major
> revolutions in storage technology. :-)

Maybe one or two quarks are enough to represent a single bit.
Then you can break this barrier and store the data, because
most molecules consists of more quarks.

But that's an incomplete approach again, because if we could
store the position of each quark and all other occurences of
energy (along with it's actual direction and speed), we could
add rules and/or triggers and end up with a complete UNIVERSE
simulator in Postgres.

Can someone ask IBM (Interstellar Business Machines Corp.)
what database they used in our UNIVERSE? Must be running in
our parent universe, so the real question is: "can we
determine the universe nesting level we actually live in?"

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #