RE: too many clients - Error message

From: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
To: "Joseph" <lters(at)mrtc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: too many clients - Error message
Date: 2000-04-26 16:56:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Depends on what you are using for clients. For instance, many web
programming suites use "persistent connections." Persistent connections
stay open in the hopes that the web server process will have need of them
again, and keeping them open will save the time of reconnecting when that
occurs. Only Apache with addons like mod_perl, Zope, or PHP will use
persistent connections. In other clients, I would guess that the problem
is that the client isn't calling disconnect, either because it's idling, or
because the author forgot to code it in before the client exits. I'm not
sure how long it takes PostGres to idle out a backend process, or if it
ever will.