Re: [HACKERS] tuple return from function

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] tuple return from function
Date: 1998-08-13 16:11:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sorry to say this, but I think we need the rewrite stuff done for 6.4.
> Too many bugs and limited features.

Thats right. Do you also agree in that only the instead rules
should be left?

> The PL/pgSQL perhaps can be started now, but not ready until 6.5? I
> don't think we should delay 6.4 for PL/pgSQL, do you?

It is in a good, stable state now. I would like to have it
shipped with 6.4, because removing the non-instead rules is a
loss of functionality and at least we must provide another
way. Someone might currently use rules for some extra
actions. But this is subject to trigger procedures. Up to now
there's only C and Tcl available for it. Not anyone likes Tcl
- and writing the triggers in C isn't fun for SQL
programmers.

I'll pack it and send it to you after a last check of the
code.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #