Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at (Zeugswetter Andreas)
Cc: meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Date: 1998-03-13 12:43:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas wrote:

> I think we should depreciate the BEGIN/END keywords in SQL to allow them
> to be used for the new PL/SQL. So definitely leave them out of ecpg now.
> Only accept BEGIN WORK and BEGIN TRANSACTION. (do a sequence of commit work; begin work)
> BTW.: why is a transaction always open ? A lot of programs would never need a
> transaction. Is it because of cursors ?

BEGIN/END in PL/SQL and PL/pgSQL doesn't mean transactions!
It's just to group statements to a block. You cannot commit
something inside a PostgreSQL function. All changes made by a
function are covered by the statements transaction or the
upper transaction block.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #