AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again

From: Zeugswetter Andreas <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'Michael Meskes'" <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] Begin statement again
Date: 1998-03-13 11:50:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think we should depreciate the BEGIN/END keywords in SQL to allow them
to be used for the new PL/SQL. So definitely leave them out of ecpg now.
Only accept BEGIN WORK and BEGIN TRANSACTION. (do a sequence of commit work; begin work)
BTW.: why is a transaction always open ? A lot of programs would never need a
transaction. Is it because of cursors ?

Andreas

Michael Meskes wrote:
Forget about my last question. I found the begin call in ecpglib.c. It doesn
what you expect from a embedded SQL preprocessor, it starts a new
transaction as soon as one ends. Nevertheless I thought about accepting
explicit begin calls in the new version. But they will always generate a
warning message as the code's always inside a transaction. So I could as
well accept the begin call but not give it to the backend.