Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Date: 2014-09-15 19:48:59
Lists: pgsql-general
cowwoc wrote on 15.09.2014 19:55:
> H2, HSQLDB, Derby all support Java triggers.

But only because they already live/run inside a JVM, so it's the "natural" choice of language.

And H2 and Derby *only* support Java stored procedures.

The main disadvantage I see with that is, that you can't "just" write a procedure (or trigger) with a simple (procedural) SQL Statement. Yyou need to compile it, package into a jar file and the add the jar file(s) to the classpath of the application (or the server process).

This essentially means you need to restart your application or the server when you deploy a trigger.
Hardly anyhting that you want to do in a production environment.

> Granted, we are not talking about MySQL or Oracle here,
>but these did not add Java triggers as an afterthought.

MySQL does not have Java triggers (or procedures).