Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

From: Alberto Cabello Sánchez <alberto(at)unex(dot)es>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Date: 2014-09-15 18:24:24
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:34:53 -0400
cowwoc <cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org> wrote:

> > 2.  What is your specific use case for a trigger in Java?
>
> The main drivers are:
>
>  1. Not having to learn yet another language.

Bear in mind that DB programmers often know SQL. To me, and apparently to them,
PL/pgsql seems closer to the already-known SQL than PL/JAVA.

Besides that, PL/JAVA -which I honestly think is a great concept in itself-
doesn't free you from learning "yet another language" if you are working with
PHP, Python, Node.js, etc... In these cases, PL/pgsql is a safer bet.

--
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
<alberto(at)unex(dot)es>