Re: GSOC13 proposal - extend RETURNING syntax

From: Arthur Axel 'fREW' Schmidt <frew(at)afoolishmanifesto(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSOC13 proposal - extend RETURNING syntax
Date: 2014-05-15 13:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund <andres <at> anarazel.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Some comments about the patch:
> * Coding Style:
> * multiline comments have both /* and */ on their own lines.
> * I think several places indent by two tabs.
> * Spaces around operators
> * ...
> * Many of the new comments would enjoy a bit TLC by a native speaker.
>
> * The way RTE_ALIAS creeps in many place where it doesn't seem to belong
> seems to indicate that the design isn't yet ready. I share Robert's
> suspicion that this would be better solved by referring to a special
> range table entry.
>
> Based on the lack of activity around this and the fact that this needs a
> *significant* chunk of work before being committable, I am going to mark
> this as returned with feedback.

I'm actively working towards converting our software at work to use Pg
instead of SQL Server and before we switch we'll need this feature to be
merged. I'll do what I can to get the verbage and style whipped into shape,
though I doubt I can do much with the actual code. Hopefully I can get
something in soon.