Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Chris Johnson <cmj(at)inline-design(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date: 1998-07-28 08:51:37
Lists: pgsql-general

At 20:20 +0300 on 27/7/98, Chris Johnson wrote:

> Come on - be reasonable... The person that asked if you would be willing
> to pay some money to get the development of features you want was not
> suggesting that you would have a special version of PostgreSQL. Any
> additions made would wind up back in Postgres itself for everyone to use.
>
> Now since you have avoided the question posed by that other person I will
> ask again. What feature or features were you looking for?

He didn't ask me what the features were. I'm quite willing to specify them.
Yes, I'm quite aware that many of them are in the pipeline... But hey, if I
install Oracle/Informix, I'd have them all *now*, tested and debugged by
many users before me.

Functionality:

- Row-level locking.
- Transaction isolation levels.
- PL/SQL
- triggers not in C
- inner/outer joins
- standard referetial integrity
- BLOBs with less hassle

Administration:

- Convenient tools for backing up, including scheduling of
backups. Same for vacuum and any other periodical maintenance.
- Backups include BLOBs.
- Replication
- Support for raw devices (my sysadmin prefers it).

Those are just off the top of my head (I didn't have a chance to ask my
sysadmin at length).

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.