Re: idle in transaction query makes server unresponsive

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: idle in transaction query makes server unresponsive
Date: 2012-09-25 21:25:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Scot Kreienkamp wrote on 25.09.2012 22:35:
> The application is using a pooler and generally runs around 100
> connections, but I've seen it as high as 200 during the day for
> normal use. It's on a large server; 64 cores total and about 500
> gigs of memory. That's one of the reasons I left it at 512
> connections.

We had several web applications where performance was *improved*
by configuring the connection pool have a a lot less connections.

There is a threshold where too many connections
will simply flood the server. Lowering the number of processes
fighting for resource makes each process faster.

You might want to give it a try.