Re: planet "top posters" section

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Subject: Re: planet "top posters" section
Date: 2010-04-19 14:00:50
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Robert Treat
>> <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
>>> Personally I think the top teams thing has caused more trouble/confusion than
>>> any benefit it has produced, and at this point I think it could be dumped, and
>>> with that our top 20 would become much more reasonable looking. imho.
>>
>> That'd be fine with me, too, as would any of the other suggestions so
>> far offered.
>
> I disagree - I like the teams feature.

I like it, too. Just, I don't like the fact that the team member
names are displayed so much less prominently than the non-team-member
names. It doesn't seem particularly fair, but it also doesn't make
much sense - the top poster (Bruce) isn't visible when you load the
page, unless you scroll.

> How about just listing top posters and top teams separately, and not
> including the people under each team. Maybe something like

This solution, like all of the other solutions so far offered, would
be fine with me.

> My only concern with that is that the poster names could become quite long.

Yeah. Magnus' prototype doesn't look too bad, though. I liked
parentheses around the number of posts better than a dash before it,
but with parentheses around the team name, there's not much choice but
to do something different for the post count. And from an information
point of view I think it's definitely a big improvement.

...Robert