Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list
Date: 2010-04-19 19:29:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Kevin Grittner

>> IME many of the bugs that go unanswered are non-bugs (eg #5316)
>> or inadequately described (eg #5429)
>
> Agreed.
>
>> If the goal is "make sure nothing important slips through the
>> cracks", a tracker could help.  If the goal is "100% response rate
>> to pgsql-bugs submissions", the only thing that will actually help
>> is a lot more people willing to do marginally-useful dogwork.
>
> Actually, if we had has something I could review to easily spot them
> as unanswered, I probably would have responded to #5316 long ago.
> (I'm not sure whether it makes sense to respond after two and a half
> months.)  I don't know whether the message fell victim to our
> (rather aggressive) spam filters or I initially blew past it for
> some reason, but had I been able to review a list of pending issues,
> I'm sure I'd have picked it up.
>
> I intentionally skipped #5429 because I thought the description in
> the post might mean something to someone familiar with ODBC access
> to PostgreSQL.  If we had a tracking system, I'd have probably
> responded if nobody else did after two or three days, to suggest
> another list or request more detail.
>
> I will often hang on to emails to which I don't initially reply, to
> remind me to follow up, but I find that clumsy and error-prone, and
> I have the disheartening feeling that there are other people doing
> exactly the same thing, leading to duplicated (wasted) effort.
>
> I don't think it has to be fancy, but setting up something to track
> open issues (linking to the related list archive pages) seems like
> a good idea to me.

+1. There seem to be several people, including Kevin, Craig Ringer,
and myself, who are trying to make sure that everyone gets some kind
of a response, but it's hard to organize it when we're all relying on
our own email boxes (and let's not forget the fun and excitement of
the mailing list failing to deliver an occasional message to one or
more of us).

...Robert