Re: psql undefined symbol error on Ubuntu

From: stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net
To: Harsha Hegde <harsha(dot)hegde(at)vonage(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql undefined symbol error on Ubuntu
Date: 2009-07-09 08:06:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Harsha Hegde<harsha(dot)hegde(at)vonage(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I have installed postgres client on an Ubuntu machine. However, when I
> try to run 'psql', I get this error message:
>
> # psql
> /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/psql: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.5: undefined symbol: PC

Something has installed libreadline in /usr/local/lib (the one the PostgreSQL packages are supposed to use is in /lib), and somehow you have configured things so this version takes precedence over the system installed one. Possibly you installed some software that wasn't a Debian or Ubuntu package and it has damaged your system?

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/