psql undefined symbol error on Ubuntu

From: "Harsha Hegde" <harsha(dot)hegde(at)vonage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql undefined symbol error on Ubuntu
Date: 2009-07-08 20:54:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello Friends,

I have installed postgres client on an Ubuntu machine. However, when I
try to run 'psql', I get this error message:

# psql
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/psql: symbol lookup error:
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.5: undefined symbol: PC

Here is some information about the machine:
# uname -a
Linux hostname.domain.net 2.6.24-22-generic #1 SMP Mon Nov 24 19:35:06
UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Client installed: postgresql-client - front-end programs for PostgreSQL
(latest version)

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,
Harsha Hegde
Database Developer,
Vonage | 23 Main Street | Holmdel, NJ 07733
t: 732-203-7562
e: harshaDOThegdeATvonageDOTcom

NOTE: The information contained in this email message is considered
confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for
review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the
message.