Re: This is our slashdot coverage?

From: "Dan Scott" <denials(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: This is our slashdot coverage?
Date: 2006-12-07 04:33:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 06/12/06, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>
> > Josh,
> >
> > On 12/5/06 7:17 PM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > > Depends. Read it another way, it implies that the only reason we're not
> > > better than DB2 and Oracle in every way is the lack of windowing
> > > functions. Wouldn't that be nice?
> >
> > And we're building the windowing functions as fast as we can ;-)
> >

> Yep!
>
> The mention of window functions is weird though. DB2 does not support
> window functions AFAIK. Oracle is the only all purpose database that does.
>
> Gavin

Nah. DB2 for Linux, UNIX, Windows has supported window functions since
Version 8 -- three years or so. IBM refers to them as "OLAP
functions".

A great little resource for comparing SQL capabilities is
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/ -- see
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/#select-limit for a discussion of
windowing functions.

The official IBM documentation is at (huge URL warning):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.admin.doc/doc/r0023461.htm

Dan