Re: Surjective functional indexes

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Surjective functional indexes
Date: 2017-05-30 06:30:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29.05.2017 20:21, Christoph Berg wrote:

> I think the term you were looking for is "projection".
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projection_(set_theory)

I have already renamed parameter from "surjective" to "injective".
But I am ok to do do one more renaming to "projection" if it will be
considered as better alternative.
From my point of view, "projection" seems to be clearer for people
without mathematical background,
but IMHO this term is overloaded in DBMS context. The irony is that in
Wikipedia "projection" is explained using "surjection" term:)

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company