Re: SpeedComparison

From: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SpeedComparison
Date: 2006-02-11 20:21:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/11/06, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> Has anyone here seen this one before? Do the values
> appear realistic?
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SpeedComparison

The values appear to originate from an intrsinsically flawed test setup.

Just take the first test. The database has to do 1000 commits. That
means 1000 I/O operations. There is no way that a 7200 RPM disk can do
that in the time that that test says it took. It is reasonable to say
that a disk can do 1 I/O operation per rotation, which means that any
test result below 9 seconds is untrustworthy.

Jochem