Re: pg_receivewal makes a bad daemon

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal makes a bad daemon
Date: 2021-05-11 09:46:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05.05.21 19:12, Robert Haas wrote:
> Maybe, but if that's really a non-problem, why does postgres itself
> restart, and have facilities to write and rotate log files?

I think because those were invented at a time when the operating system
facilities were less useful. And the log management facilities aren't
even very good, because there is no support for remote logging.

> It may be
> true that if you know just how to configure your system's daemon
> manager, you can make all of this work, but it's not like we document
> how to do any of that, and it's probably not the same on every
> platform - Windows in particular - and, really, why should people have
> to do this much work? If I want to run postgres in the background I
> can just type 'pg_ctl start'.

Not really a solution, because systemd will kill it when you log out.

> Documenting how that's typically done on modern
> systems, as you propose further on, would be great, but I can't do it,
> because I don't know how to make it work. Hence the thread.

That is probably effort better spent.

I think the issues that you alluded to, what should be done in case of
what error, is important to work out in detail and document in any case,
because it will be the foundation of any of the other solutions.