Re: Time to drop plpython2?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date: 2021-11-15 18:52:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.11.21 19:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund<andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
>> On 2021-11-15 12:19:51 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I was wondering about simply probing to see if python3 exists (and if
>>> so, what version it is exactly), as an additional configure test that
>>> doesn't hook into anything. That would give us some information without
>>> suddenly changing what is being tested.
>> But this is probably a good compromise. Were you thinking of doing a proper
>> autoconf test or just putting something like python3 --version || true in
>> configure?
> Hm, I had in mind an actual configure test; but since it's just a
> temporary exploratory measure, shortcuts are fine. However, I'm
> not sure that what you suggest would result in capturing anything
> in config.log.

I'm not sure this is really going to end up moving things forward.

I think we should just write to the build farm owners, we plan to drop
python2 support in, say, 60 days, please update your setup to use
python3 or disable python support.

If we add this test first, then all we're going to learn is probably
that 60% of those who are currently using python2 don't have python3
installed, and then we're still going to have to send that above email.