Re: High traffic websites...

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High traffic websites...
Date: 2005-04-01 15:17:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> of the replies I saw only one seemed like it really fit the bill of a
> high traffic website (Whitepages.com, if you work for this company
> please drop me an email).

Got the OK to mention this.

Raging Bull (http://ragingbull.lycos.com/) has been using PG for years
(going back to 7.0) to power various systems. Although PG isn't our
"main" db yet, it is now just as important as the current Informix
engine. We're currently migrating off of Informix to PG and hopefully
in a couple months we'll be completely off of it.

The site is pushing a few million page views/day

PG is doing an average of 700 updates / minute and about 8000 queries /
minute (these spike up to 1100 and 12000 respectively). The box
running PG is nothing special - dual xeon with shoddy disks.

We also replicate that db via slony onto a hot spare. That works
wonderfully.

I plan on writing up some more info about it when the new system is
launched.

I also go the go-ahead to release some of my nifty tools I've written
for PG over the years.

I welcome various questions you may have about it.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/